It’s February which means Valentine’s Day is less than two weeks away!
*quickly Googles “perfect valentine’s day present”*
Who else spends hours stressing over the perfect gift? Maybe you find it, maybe you don’t, but either way, when your partner/friend/family member is opening it, you stare them down like a crazy person waiting for their reaction. Y’all please say that is not just me.
When Ty and I first started dating, I would seriously stress over gifts. Okay okay, I still do, but I have gotten so much better at this gift-giving thing. Want to know why? Because of an online quiz. Not just any silly Buzzfeed quiz, it was the Five Love Languages quiz. The premise behind this assessment is that everyone has a primary way of showing and wanting to be loved. By answering a series of questions, you and your partner can understand the way each other wants to be loved. What better way to celebrate a holiday focused on love than knowing the love language your partner speaks?
The Five Love Languages are:
- Quality Time
- Acts of Service
- Words of Affirmation
- Receiving Gifts
- Physical Touch
The quiz doesn’t take very long, but in case you’re pressed for time, we’ve compiled this handy guide to help decode your partner’s primary love language—and make gift giving a lot easier this year!
Quality Time: This type of person cherishes your time and attention above all else. If your partner’s love language is quality time, put down your phone and give them your full attention. This is Tyler’s love language, so I have learned that his favorite gifts are experiences that we can share together.
Gift Ideas For Quality Time Love Language:
- Tickets to an event you can go to together
- A distraction-free day together
Acts of Service: Does your partner jump for joy when you do them a favor? Maybe you went out of your way and checked something off their to-do list and they couldn’t thank you enough. If your partner’s love language is acts of service, they admire helpful acts and see them as signs of love.
Gift Ideas For Acts Of Service Love Language:
- Make them breakfast in bed and do the dishes afterward
- Run the errand they’ve been meaning to do, but haven’t had time for
- Make a coupon book containing tasks you will do for them
Words of Affirmation: Some people need to hear how you feel about them because they value words and take them to heart. This is my first love language. Because Tyler knows this, it allows him to focus on verbal communication to express his love in a way that I value. He’s gotten so much better at it since we took the quiz.
Gift Ideas For Words Of Affirmation Love Language:
- Write them a meaningful letter
- If you get a gift, don’t forget the card (with more than just your signature)
- Write a poem
- Pro Tip: If you’re struggling with inspiration, check out this great post from FTD. In it, they compiled a list of 70 love messages to help you clearly express how much you care. Plus, they photographed flowers in the shape of inspiring words like “love” and “admire” that can easily be used as desktop or phone backgrounds or printed off as cards. We used the photos in this post and think they are gorgeous…your sweetheart will, as well!
Receiving Gifts: Almost everyone likes presents, but if your partner’s love language is receiving gifts, they appreciate the thoughtfulness and effort behind each gift. The gifts don’t have to be big and expensive. Sometimes, it’s the little surprises and gifts that show your partner the most love.
- Get them something they haven’t stopped talking about for months
- Purchase something they would love, but never buy for themselves
- Never forget the card!
Physical Touch: Does your partner love to snuggle up? Their love language may be physical touch. Being physically close to them is the best way to show love. Whether that is cuddling up to watch a movie, or holding their hand as you walk down the street, people who respond best to physical touch adore being close together.
- A new warm blanket
- A romantic night just for the two of you
The 5 Love Languages quiz is a great way to understand your partner on a deeper level. It also can apply to anyone in your life. By focusing on your partner’s love language, you can give them a genuine gift (or experience) that they will truly appreciate. What are you waiting for? Grab your partner, click this link, and take the 5 Love Languages Quiz today!